Thursday, 13 June 2013

Guest Blogger: "Why I Read Historical Fiction" By Bookish Owl

Are you writing historical fiction?  Check out why Kayla, aka Bookish Owl, has a passion for the past...

Ever since I was introduced to literature, I’ve always had a soft spot for historical fiction. History has always been fascinating to me as there was always something so dreamy about dresses, corsets and old-fashioned speaking. There are a lot of reasons why I love historical fiction. Here are some of them:

1. Insight on dead people

Okay, that was morbid.

I have a perverse interest in long dead people. I find their lives a good mystery, what did they eat? What did they use for toilets? I could read non-fiction books but all they ever state are names, dates and places. Believe me, I’ve read about 3 historical non-fiction books. Pooh, who cares about dates? I want to read their daily doings and innermost thoughts.

This is also the reason why historical fiction diaries are THE BOMB. 

2. Reading about women in corsets, petticoats, hoops, etc.

Can you imagine being laced into a tiny corset until you can barely breathe? Can you imagine maneuvering metal contraptions under your skirts to be able to sit? Well I can’t. But I can get a glimpse of how it was like because of historical fiction.

Corsets...can you imagine such a thing?! I’m complaining about bras restricting my breathing capabilities but one that covers your entire torso? *runs screaming for the hills*

3. I’d much rather live in the past

Jay Gatsby called. He wants his mindset back.

Thanks to historical fiction, I can humbly say that I have learned a lot, most of which aren’t even for my age group. It may be difficult to discern between fact and fiction, but if you’re like me and take to Google after reading a historical fiction book, then you’re pretty well off.

What about you? Why do you read historical fiction?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to guest blog? Let me know!

Sneak Peek: His Laughing Girl - a BBW-Billionaire romance by Ellen Whyte

I'm off to see my mum for three weeks. Back on 1 June.  PM me on FB is you need me! His Laughing Girl A BBW Billionaire Romance ...