Friday, 19 April 2013

Guest Post: Sherri Fulmer Moorer, The Truth About Writing


Today Sherri Fulmer Moorer, author of Resonance and Quarantine talks about writing full-time:

I remember one day several years ago when a former colleague snarked that I must not be a good writer because I still had a full time job.

It was tempting to lambast her with my expanded vocabulary, but instead I did the right thing: I told her that her comment just showed her ignorance of how the business of writing really works. She had no idea that many famous writers like J.R.R. Tolkein, C.S. Lewis, and P.D. James never quit their "day jobs" to pursue writing. They wrote while working full time, and writing wasn't their primary "career" until they retired.

As it is for us all. Indeed, the Stephen Kings and J.K. Rowlings of the world are the exception rather than the rule.

I wish I knew where these stereotypes of making a living pounding on the laptop while in their pajamas and sipping coffee came from. I can assure you that they didn't come from me.

Like many of you, I struggle to find writing time between a home and a full time job. It isn't easy. Fortunately, there are tips and tricks that can help, and I've written a guide to help newcomers to writing. It's titled So You Want to Be a Writer, and it's available for free. That's right, free. This short guide is my way of giving back to the community by helping newcomers find their way through the vast (and often confusing) amount of information and advice out there.

Writing is a labor of love, but it's one that feeds off a fullness of life. So don't feel bad if you're still out there working a 40 hour week while trying to launch a writing platform. That, perhaps, is the fuel that's feeding your stories, and your life.

Thanks for reading. Now go pick up your free copy of So You Want to Be a Writer at Barnes & Noble or Smashwords 

If you have a Kindle, you can find Sherri here.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for this! I'm a writer and I agree with you completely!!

    ReplyDelete

Want to guest blog? Let me know!